Sunday, April 01, 2007

UK day 3-4

I often worry about wearing out my stay on vacation. Byron and Bee have been consumate hosts. Though you will always have to arrgue with them about that. I love them both dearly for the fun and interesting times I have had over the past half week. Lot's of interesting people and food and great tlate nights at pubs.

A trip to the second biggest cathedral in England, Elie. WHile we were there the were practicing a requiem of sorts.
Byron and I climbed the tiny circular staircases up to the top of the cathedral octagon and listened to the gorgious soloists below. Elie is the site of the uprising that caused began the english civil war. so the Cathedral has been ground zero for a lot of senseless destruction. The Castholilc parts were destroyed by Henry VIII. Color was scarped off the walls. Stained glass was broken and statuary was broken.

Allister Cromwell destryed many of the Church of England parts of the church when he let the rebellion. It was quite a gorrgious town. Very windy. Very old and the music was cacauphonous.

After the pubs closed att 1 we went out for what was to be deemed the "closest thing to nachos we can do in Britiain at 11 AM. A Kabob house. We went in and ordered up the meaty and viggie options and watched some girl throw her purse at the windows of the business next door. Pub closing time is out fo control in Cambridge. A girl ran up behing me to touch my hat as we passed. A man walked up to Bee and I at the pub and asked "You two are personalities aren't you?" Today we cycled to The Ordhard at Grantchester. This is a famous tea house that is outdoors. Many famous folks are known to have hung out there including Virginia Woolfe and many others I will shorten the list here. There were beautiful rolling meadows and thatch roof huts. And old graveyeards.

On the way back we stopped at the student green next the the Mill pub. We drank Whiskey while surrounded by student joshing and making out. It was quite fun. The whole day was sunny and gorgious and there there were punters up and down the Granta and the Cam.

Tonight we celebrate Byron's birthday in Cambridge. Tomorrow in London where we might even meet up with my old Seattle friend Isabelle. Good times. I have so many picutres to show you guys, but am lacking in a good method to batch resize them. I will get them uploaded when I get back on Wednesday/thursday.

Heart,
Jeffrey

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home