Saturday, October 14, 2006

Needle in a haystack....

I live on Sapitol Hill in Seattle Washington. It is a charming neighborhood filled with lots of aprtments a few streets of shopping and dining and some crazy amount of bars. these bars are fruequented by fashionable young ladies and gentlemen form the local music and art scene. People wholook and feel rebellious. But mostly by alcoholics with a lot of time on their hands on a dreadul search for meaning or connection. There are a lot fo people like this and we roam around pouring liquors in our belly the nukmb one thing or another. Or to give us the courage to ask that other person who is drinking out. It is an interesting ascene and I find particular joy in wandering in and out of it at leisure. I am a bit too old for the crowd. I do not know enough about new bands and I do not work a col job or whatnot. But what beats all is running into a new person every once and a while that keeps me completely intigues and interested in a conversation. Last night I met a new freidn Michael. And we bantered back and forth about the changin, growing northwest city we lived in. We chatted about the death of our neighborhood. The replacement of dive bars with themed and expensive Belletown-esque alternatives. Belltown. Is another neighborhood in Cap Hill that used to be run down and filled with interesting little bohemian dives. They are down to 2 maybe 3 now and they have moved in a massive pile of upwardly mobile people who make a lot of money for their age. I see not problem with these people I guess. They are just on a different path than me. I digress. As this city grows, the demand for condos grows anfd the demand for quite cute neighborhoods with little or no personality grows. Thus artistic freaks like myself and Michael loose the quirks of our neighborhood and it becomes a good place to raise kids. "So where do we move?" we asked each other. Georgetown is always touted as an interesting commmunity, but the cancer cluster down there around the industril-waste drenched soil and the airport does nto bode well. Plus the rents down there are already pretty darn expensive. West Seattle is brgioning now, but it is not really my community. I might be singing a different tune in a year. but not yet. If you live in the area and have some suggestions on places for me to move let me know. If I can't think iof anything then I will just move to chicago, New York or Montreal. Iceland is always an option too!

Anyways. I adore running into intereting people. So that was a good night. And I ran into 4 people form my high school wandering up the street drunk at 2 AM. I had not seen these people in 13 years+ so it was strange. And one of them currently has his taxes done by my dad. just weird. They looked like Belltown people. so it eggggxacerbated the belief in the problems of the hill.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home